Wednesday, February 06, 2008

lifestyle changes

I hit rock bottom last night when I heard some news that was shocking to me. For the first time in years, I cried myself to sleep. Where did I go wrong as a parent? Was it wrong to uproot my family and move across the United States? While I am 100% sure that Jim joining the Air Force was the best move for us, I know it hurts the kids in some ways. We, Jim and I, have decided that this "season" in our life is not about us; it's not about me getting my degree right now, it's not about how many volunteer tasks we can be involved in, and it certainly isn't how many side jobs we can pick up. It's the "season" for our children. Sure, we thought we were giving the kids the attention they need, but after sitting back and taking a really hard look at it, we aren't giving the kids the right kind of attention they need.


I have 'put on hold' my degree. What will it do for me when I get it? It won't get me a raise in the job I'm in. It may get my face in the company newsletter....whoopty doo. I have the rest of my life to earn my degree, but I have only this ONE chance to be a good parent.



So what is a good parent any how? I think a good parent is one who listens to his/her children, and I'm not talking about nodding your head while cooking dinner as your 7 year old tells you about his exciting day at school. I mean take a minute and sit down, look him/her in the eyes and really listen. Do what your children want to do instead of what you want to do all the time. If he wants to learn how to play the guitar, sign up for lessons! If he wants to be a fisherman, go fishing! If she wants to be a princess, stuff her drawer full of tiaras. You only get to be a kid once, right? And the most important thing for me is to learn to like some of the things my children like.

Take the time to really love your children.


Here are my FAVORITE KIDS IN THE WORLD:



1 comments:

Bradi said...

Amen Sister!! It's always good to be reminded of that..so often I have to stop what I am doing and MAKE myself get down and play with RG and it's harder then it should be sometimes!! I hope whatever made you hit "rock bottom" isn't too serious?
Love the new blog look BTW.