Friday, January 16, 2009

I miss the snow, so....

Ok, I don't miss the snow, nor do I miss the cold weather - OR falling on my butt after slipping on the ice.... never-the-less, I will be back in Michigan two weeks from today. My mom will be getting out of Mary Free Bed next week Friday. She will need 24/7 care for several weeks, or until she can care for herself. She has asked me to come help her for the second week that she's home - of course I am more than willing to do anything to help her - so I'll be flying back up on the 30th. The first week my mom will have help from her friend and her husband's brother and his wife.

When the kids caught word of this they immediately thought that I would be gone for a while, like last time. It's not my plan. I actually have a flight back the following Sunday. But....if she needs me longer, I will be there for her. I don't foresee that, though.

Although I am so grateful that my mom actually asked for my help (I offered to come back up there before and she declined my help saying that she wanted to prove she could do it herself), I am very nervous about staying in the same house as her husband. I have called on my cousin/bff to stay up there with me and I also have a friend who said she would stay up there with me as well. Thank God for friends! Friends are good therapy :) - not to mention they have your back if anything happens ;)

I am going to purchase a Wii for my mom, too! I'm excited about that. The kids got one for Christmas and they love to play it! It's going to be great exercise and therapy for my mom - they actually use them at Mary Free Bed as part of the rehab process and my mom loves it....bowling is her favorite.

--------------------------------------------------------

In other news....we found a new church that I absolutely LOVE! And I begin a small group February 11th and I'm excited about it! We came across the church through friends. We invited them to our church for their Christmas Eve service and they told us that they would go if we went with them to church with them one Sunday. My friend tells me "they have a band with smoke and lights and everything!" My first thought was, great....I don't like contemporary services and this sounds like a contemporary church for sure. Well, turns out that the band is more like an alternative rock band that plays the same music that we sing at "our" church, but with a twist! It was so cool! And they have a cafe' with coffee, hot chocolate, donuts, and bagels - the kids LOVE this. It's such a laid back church and seems to cater to our age group even though there are people of all ages who attend. It's FABULOUS! I look forward to waking up on Sunday to go to church now :)

----------------------------------------------------

Also...Jim and I have decided that we are NOT going to extend his tour another year here in Panama City. We think it's time to move on. But where to? We would love to go overseas, but the problem with going overseas is that Jim will be gone 6-8 months out of the year. This means being isolated in a strange place. The experiences would be so great, but not having support (initially) will be hard. So....even though we are going to try for overseas (Kadeena AFB in Japan), we think that we will end up (or request) Scott AFB in IL, or Whiteman AFB in MO. Each base is on either side of St. Louis. Whiteman is a little further from home, but it has my favorite plane...the B2 Bomber! Escentially, we are trying to move closer to home.

0 comments: